It’s human nature to get excited about making a big purchase, especially when it’s a luxury motorcoach with all the bells and whistles. And if you’re considering purchasing an RV, you’re in good company. Between 2001 and 2021, RV ownership rose by more than 62%. In fact, a recent survey by the RV Industry Association recorded that 31% of their respondents are first-time owners, which emphasizes the rapid growth of the industry in recent years.
But how many of those new RV owners have buyer’s remorse? How many of them rushed into a purchasing decision, sometimes paying $400,000 to over $1 million for a luxury motorcoach, only to realize it didn’t have enough beds, or it was too difficult to drive, or it simply wasn’t a good fit for them?
You’d be surprised at how often we see this, and it’s a key reason why we always suggest renting a luxury motorcoach before buying one. By renting a motorcoach, you get hands-on experience that will help you make an informed decision. You’ll have a chance to live in an RV for a week or more, drive it on local streets and freeways, set it up at a campsite, and really determine if it’s something you’d like to invest in. It’s the ultimate test drive.
Here are some questions to consider:
- How do you intend to use the luxury RV? Do you want to live and work in it, like a digital nomad, or will it be used for leisure travel?
- Who will travel in it and what do they need to be comfortable? Will your immediate family be sleeping in it, and if you have children, do you need bunk beds? Do you need special accommodations for older travelers, like a bar in the shower and other features?
- Who will drive the motorcoach and do they need to be trained? When you get behind the wheel of a 45-foot, 30,000-pound vehicle, you better feel confident that you can handle it. We like to recommend a private driver, not just for our renters, but for our owners too. Not only are they professionally trained, our drivers also know how to navigate the best route to your destination.
- Where will you park your new motorcoach? If there’s no room on your driveway or on your street, are you prepared to find a storage facility for it?
- What’s your budget? At minimum, you should plan on spending $400,000 for a Class A luxury motorcoach. The price goes up depending on the year, model, design, and amenities. It’s not uncommon for some luxury RV brands to cost between $1 million and $3 million.
- What amenities do you need? This goes back to how you will use your motorcoach. Do you need a washing machine? How many TVs do you need, and do you need high-speed internet service? The list of questions relating to amenities can be lengthy, and sometimes you don’t know what you need until you’re traveling in your RV.
- What level of service do you need after you take ownership of the luxury RV? It’s important to assess your service needs before you sign on the dotted line. There are some dealers who will hand you the keys and send you on your merry way. At LiTRV, we help renters and owners alike with driver training, maintenance, and other services.
Rental of a coach for a weekend or week could cost between $10,000 and $20,000 which may seem like a lot; however, this cost pales in comparison to the loss you might experience if you purchase a new luxury RV and it is not the right fit. Much like new automobiles, luxury motorhomes can lose up to 40% in value within the first few years. The cost of rental far outweighs the depreciation. And the experience you will gain during the rental is priceless.
Traveling in a luxury motorcoach is an incredible experience, and we share in the joy that our clients feel when we help them purchase one. If you’re thinking about buying a luxury RV, consider talking with one of our motorcoach experts first. We can share rental options with you so you can determine whether this lifestyle appeals to you. And then, if you are serious about making a purchase, we can help guide you through the process.